Thursday

WILLIAM P. MEYERS — California dreaming of a better world

Bill Meyers for Congress!

1st Congressional District of California

Green Party Primary, March 2004


William Meyers, Cynthia McKinney


The same way I survived the Eisenhower,
Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter,
Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton years.
__________
I should have taken up arms against the war crimes, crimes against humanity, and crimes against the environment
of the ruling class of the U.S.
__________
Instead I just protested a little
in my writing and in the streets.



Mike Thompson, William Meyers



Obama was carefully chosen
by a section of the
ruling class for his job.


He's been vetted.
__________
He will counterbalance some of the Bush stupidities,
but only in the interest of maintaining the empire,
maintaining the class system,
and maintaining the earth-destroying industrial machine.










THE
New American Dream Interview




WILLIAM P. MEYERS, 53, lives in Mendocino County near Point Arena, California.

He is a researcher and writer. He served on the school board for the Point Arena public school system 1999-2007.

William was born in 1955 at Camp LeJeune Marine base in North Carolina, then grew up in Jacksonville, Florida.

He graduated from Brown University with a degree in political science.

In 1987 he joined the Industrial Workers of the World and in 1988 began working with Earth First!

In 1988 he also started a book publishing company, III Publishing.

In 1998 he stopped publishing books.

In 2000 he joined the Green Party.

He currently writes the "Natural Liberation" and "Dissecting the Bull" blogs.

[more]


____________
The New American Dream Trivia Question:

To win a round button that says, "Bush Is Lying About What He Knew," be the first one to correctly answer the following.

Bill Meyers would rather be ....

a. Marching at midnight Camp LeJeune
b. Welding in Worcester
c. Pressing his nose against the window of a 21st floor corner office of HarperCollins
d. Obama's Secretary of Literacy
e. Bicycling to Bozeman
f. Meeting Karl Rove in the alley behind Duffy's Irish Pub
____________




NAD: Bill, hello, thank you for taking the time for this.

Where did you grow up? Where did you go to school? What did you start out wanting to be?

Is there still time?

WILLIAM P. MEYERS:
The first thing I wanted to be was a Catholic priest, but I developed a bad attitude as an altar boy and switched to wanting to be a scientist.

When I was 17 I decided I wanted to be a writer and political activist, which I am.




NAD: If I have this right, you are a historian, writer, publisher ... and lots of other things.

WILLIAM P. MEYERS:
My writing is mostly on the Web now.

My most popular pamphlets and articles are: A Brief History of the Democratic Party; Santa Clara Blues: Corporate Personhood versus Democracy; and America, Republic or Democracy?




NAD: Would you like to choose one of these to answer, elaborate on?

I don't ask this to make fun. I ask because I really seek the answers.

Is there a God?

God is a confusing concept.

If you believe God is a particular stone idol, then there is a real God.

If you believe a particular human being is or was God, then I would want to know what you imply.

Do you think Jesus created the Universe?

I think the Universe has to be self-creating, and that everything else is a subset of the Universe.

I think the idea of God as a dictator is not only loony, but disgusting.




NAD: How did you survive the Bush years?

WILLIAM P. MEYERS:
The same way I survived the Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton years.

I should have taken up arms against the war crimes, crimes against humanity, and crimes against the environment of the ruling class of the U.S.

Instead I just protested a little in my writing and in the streets.




NAD: Do you anticipate having to survive the Obama years, struggle through — or do you have hopes for something better?

What do you think about the election of Obama? ... and ... why wasn't it stolen as well ... or was it? Who decided it wasn't going to be Kucinich or Ron Paul or Cynthia McKinney or Ralph Nader?

WILLIAM P. MEYERS:
Obama was carefully chosen by a section of the ruling class for his job.

He's been vetted.

He will counterbalance some of the Bush stupidities, but only in the interest of maintaining the empire, maintaining the class system, and maintaining the earth-destroying industrial machine.

His infrastructure program alone will emit more carbon dioxide than anything G.W. Bush did.

He will become a war criminal when he fails to withdraw all U.S. troops from occupied territories, and he will continue to support Israel's occupation of Palestine.




NAD: Please tell us more about yourself, the things you have done, what you would like to do, what you did today. What do you eat, what do you smoke, what do you drink.

WILLIAM P. MEYERS:
I don't smoke. I smoked reefer for about 20 years, but it got boring so I stopped.

I eat a varied diet. I am lucky to have enough land for an orchard and garden.

Right now we have an apple crop to eat our way through. I have pear trees, I grow potatoes, carrots, lettuce, asparagus, bok choi, arugula, blueberries, grapes. I trade sometimes with other gardeners in the area.

I grew up in the suburbs, spent about 20 years in cities, and now enjoy life in the country.

I like a glass of wine or a beer on occasion.




NAD: Why did you quit publishing?

Because people quit reading?

Or something else?

Or maybe it wasn't defeat, but that you accomplished all you had wanted to?

WILLIAM P. MEYERS:
The chain bookstores started picking off the independent bookstores that were my customers in the 1990s.

The economics for small presses are dismal at best.

I worked with my distributor to kick us up to a sustainable level.

On two titles coming out one fall we got large pre-orders from Barnes & Noble and Borders.

I took all my savings and printed 5000 copies of each title.

Then they cancelled the orders, said they had been contingent on my buying shelf space, which I did not have money to do.

I decided I had better use for my time than printing books that readers would never get a chance to see.




NAD: What else would you like to add? What else should I have asked?

WILLIAM P. MEYERS:
I am working on a couple book-length pieces right now.

Since I don't expect them to be published in physical form, I am posting the drafts and even notes for the drafts to my Web site, so you can read them as they are written.

The most important one is The U.S. War Against Asia.



Please insert a link here to something you would like linked to, with a brief tag re: where that link goes:

www.iiipublishing.com, where I post most of my writing.


____________

About

THE New American Dream Feature Interviews

If you search the archives below, you will find, in a sort of order [last to first], interviews with:

Ian Woods, Canadian publisher, 9/11 Truth activist

Richard D. Brinkman, Edmonton, Canada 9/11 Truth

Lynn Berg, New York City actor

Alejandro Rojas, of MUFON, the Mutual UFO Network

Brian Kasoro, publisher of The Liberator magazine

Brother Raymond, walked from Denver to D.C., for truth

Korey Rowe, one of the producers of Loose Change

Dave Zweifel, editor of The Madison Capital Times

Cathleen Howard, expatriate, from Tucson to Mexico, to pursue her dreams

Sander Hicks, Brooklyn radical entrepreneur, writer, publisher

Joe Bageant, America's blue-collar author

Frida Berrigan, a lifetime of faith, hope and love

Denise Diaz, brewing up a revolution, at The Ritual Cafe in Des Moines

Deanna Taylor, Green Party activist, teacher, in Salt Lake City

Rossie Indira-Vltchek, writer, filmmaker in Jarkarta, Indonesia

Nora Barrows-Friedman, Pacifica reporter in Gaza

Delaney Bruce, Friends of Peltier

Keith McHenry, co-founder of Food Not Bombs

Michael Sprong, South Dakota Catholic Worker


Brian Terrell, Des Moines Catholic Worker

Bob Graf
, One of the Milwaukee 14

Loren Coleman, Bigfoot researcher

Monty Borror, Sci-Fi artist from Virginia

David Ray, Great American Poet

Jack Blood, radio show host, in Austin, Texas

Danny Schechter, A Real Reporter

Bob Kincaid, host, Head-On Radio Show

Tony Packes, Animal Farm Radio Host, Keeping An Eye on Big Brother

Richard Flamer, Working With the Poor in Chiapas

David Ray Griffin, 9/11 Truth activist author

Barry Crimmins, U.S. comedian, author, social activist

Bret Hayworth, political reporter for the Sioux City [IA] Journal

Lisa Casey, publisher of website All Hat No Cattle

Joe & Elaine Mayer, activist couple in Rochester, Minnesota

Fr. Darrell Rupiper, U.S. priest revolutionary

Whitney Trettien, MIT student, Green Party activist

Meria Heller, radio show host

Phil Hey, professor, poet

John Crawford, book publisher

Steve Moon, Iowa Bigfoot researcher

Carol Brouillet, California social activist, 9/11 Truth

Russell Brutsche, Santa Cruz artist

Kevin Barrett, professor, radio show host, 9/11 Truth activist

A'Jamal Rashad Byndon, social activist in Omaha

Chris Rooney, Vancouver, Canada Catholic Worker, website publisher

Marc Estrin, political novelist, from the left

Peter Dale Scott, poet, professor, author, activist

Anthony Rayson, anarchist zine publisher, works with prisoners

Alice Cherbonnier, editor of The Baltimore Chronicle, an independent newspaper

No comments:

Blog Archive